BabyFruit Ticker

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Storms, Blackouts, and God

Yesterday evening began pretty ordinarily. I left work, got in a quick workout, and went home to start cleaning the house to prepare for our first big overnight visitors to the new Spencer home. William’s Dad and family are coming in town tonight for his Aunt’s 60th birthday party (Happy Birthday Aunt Laurie!) and will be spending the night with us. I had just finished the floors and had dinner on the stove when the house went dark. The TV, which had been broadcasting storms across the DFW metroplex, went black and all the lights went down with it.

Fortunately, we have a gas cook top so dinner continued to cook. This set the stage for a little impromptu (and involuntary) candle light dinner. It’s amazing how an annoyance (like a black out) can be turned into a huge blessing. For the first time in awhile, William and I enjoyed a peaceful, and pretty romantic, dinner. Afterwards, we both took some time to enjoy the storm, sitting on the front porch drinking a glass of wine and watching the rain fall. It’s amazing how in the midst of a storm, you often find greater peace than in the calm.

My life has been in a state of calm, or a peak, for quite awhile now. Yes, there was the busyness of wedding planning and the transition of being married and obstacles at work, but I have not been faced with a hard time or major challenge in a long time. Last night I realized that because I’ve been walking through the good times in life, I have not called out to and pursued the God who gives me peace in both the good times and the bad as often as I should. In the midst of the storm, we are very aware of the peace and calm that we long for and that can only be provided by God’s love and grace towards us in these struggles. I’m trying to learn to seek Him just as much in the calm as I do in the storms.

Praise God for impromptu blackouts and for every good blessing he bestows on my life…

But, as of 7:30am, our house still does not have power…I think I’ve learned my lesson and would like to have the lights back on please!

No comments:

Post a Comment